[MPlayer-users] Bug 2 of 2: -framedrop gives lots of error messages with h264 - Mac OS X 10.3.9

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 23:29:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/2/06, Ergzay <ergzay at everyoneproductions.com> wrote:

> On 2006/03/21, at 0:49, Ergzay wrote:
>
> > This is bug 2 of 2. These bugs have been around for as long as I can
> > remember and because they weren't getting fixed I thought I might
> > report them. I am using gcc 3.3. I am on mac os x 10.3.9. I am using
> > the cvs version of mplayer.
> > When I use the standard -framedrop with h264 files it will put out
> > this type of line repeatedly, which I'm guessing is whenever it skips
> > a frame. This causes mplayer to lag further and drop more frames. If
> > you get to a sufficiently complex movement scene mplayer will
> > continuously drop frames for several seconds getting no movement. ex:
> > Error while decoding frame!94 ct:  4.545 1327/1327 82% 18%  4.8% 1058 0
> > Error while decoding frame!43 ct:  4.549 1328/1328 82% 18%  4.8% 1059 0
> > Error while decoding frame!31 ct:  4.574 1334/1334 82% 18%  4.8% 1065 0
> > Error while decoding frame!02 ct:  4.579 1335/1335 82% 18%  4.8% 1066 0
> > Error while decoding frame!09 ct:  4.604 1341/1341 82% 18%  4.8% 1072 0
> > If I instead use -hardframedrop the problem disappears and it
> > functions as if -framedrop was used with an xvid file.
>
> Is anyone going to respond?

Does it happen with _all_ h264 files, or just with some that have been damaged?

They are many bugs in MEncoder, and my experience with that software
has been to circumvent some "bugs" in order to get where I wanted to
go. In fact, the word "bug" is maybe not the correct word I should
use, maybe more "undesirable behaviour" would be the word.

What I'm trying to get at is: why do you use an option that causes
some problems: is that for the sake of reporting problems with an odd
setup, so that they can be fixed some day (which is a good healthy
behaviour, and I thank you for doing so), or is there any other
reason?

Now, I don't know where the problem resides, but I'd tend to think
that if that series of option doesn't work, you just shouldn't use it
(don't shoot yourself on the foot as they say).... but I guess you
already do.

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.