[MPlayer-users] Aspect-ration oddity

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer at gmx.de
Sun Apr 2 14:38:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

 I have a video, which was recorded by a Siemens m740 dvbt-receiver (TV).

 This video has been cut and freed of the commercials and mplayer is
 able to play it without any problems.

 The video itsself has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and has no "black bars"
 on top and bottom.

 Now.... :)

 I encoded this video from the mpeg2 into the mpeg4 codec to save
 space. Before that I let mplayer guess the crop values. The scenes of
 the video were bright enough to for a correct detection and finally
 it comes out with 704:576.

 While playing the resulting video, I recognized that the aspect
 ratio was wrong (egg-head syndrom).

 I added -aspect 4:3 but this does not help neither while playing nor
 while encoding.

 Now I get stuck...

 The commandline I used for encoding was (I alos tried without "-aspect 4:3"

  mencoder ${filename} -aspect 4:3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
  vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:vhq:vpass=1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
  abr:br=96 -vf crop=704:576:0:0 -o file-compressed.avi && \
  mencoder ${filename} -aspect 4:3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
  vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:vhq:vpass=2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
  abr:br=96 -vf crop=704:576:0:0 -o file-compressed.avi

 My system:
 Linux 2.6.16.1 (Gentoo)
 Mplayer/Ffmpeg from daily cvs

 Any help would be ver yappreciated!