[MPlayer-users] How to tell how far through you are

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Sat Apr 1 12:14:00 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a 13 hour long read real audio dump and I want to chop off the
beginning up to some point in the file.  What I would like to do is
listen to the audio until I get to the point I want and then note down
how far through that is. Then I can simply chop off the beginning up to
that point.

In mplayer I have the following problems.

a) If I use Right Arrow to skip forward it resets the progress indicator

"A:   1.2 (01.1) of 50011.0 (13:53:31.0) 95.0% "

(The CPU percent skips up to near 100 and then goes down rapidly with
you skip forward)

b) I tried } and { to speed my way through it but this is not a good
solution as you can't hear anything and the max speed appears to be 8.71x.

It would be really useful if there was a way to get the progress
indicator to tell you how far through you are.  The only info I am left
with is the  position percent that appears when I do a skip forward that
is very rough.

c) It has been suggested to use audacity but I don't think it can copy
with real audio dumps.

d) It was also suggested to use edl but it seems I still need to know
the timings for that which is what I am finding hard to extract.

Any help much appreciated.

Raphael