[MPlayer-users] Choppy videos

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 21:24:16 CEST 2005

Julian Sikorski wrote:

> Hi. I am experiencing the following problem with mplayer. when
> playing some videos, mplayer gets very choppy. IIRC the problem did
> not exist in 1.0pre7 (using cvs now):
> alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.068 msecs. resetting stream?,?% 0 0
> alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.065 msecs. resetting stream0.3% 0 0
> alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.075 msecs. resetting stream0.3% 0 0
> alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.071 msecs. resetting stream0.3% 0 0
> alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.070 msecs. resetting stream0.3% 0 0
> alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.007 msecs. resetting stream0.3% 0 0
> Is there anything I could do do fix this issue? Using Fedora Core 4
> here. Greets.

I don't have an answer for you offhand, but I have experienced what
looks to be the same problem (with CVS from a few days/weeks ago, I
didn't note it down). I also noticed two other effects: that if I
attempted to adjust the volume on the fly in such a file (either up or
down), in short order the audio would be replaced by a VERY LOUD
hissing, and when I then quit out the status line reported an A/V desync
of something like ten seconds or more.

I avoided the problem by a) adjusting the volume to a level comfortable
for that file with external utilities and b) using -ao oss, which did
not exhibit the jerkiness problem. (I don't remember offhand whether or
not it exhibited the volume-related problem.)

I hadn't gotten around to reporting this as a bug yet - actually, if I
can remember what they are I have a fair number of potential bug reports
sitting around waiting to be submitted - but I do still have the
problematic file, if it turns out to be needed.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.