[MPlayer-users] mencoder-tivo -- mencoder wrapper to create TiVo-readable files

Andrew Stellman astellman at stellman-greene.com
Mon Sep 26 18:14:40 CEST 2005

I wrote a small script which will run mencoder with the correct options to
create a file that can be transferred to a TiVo.

>From <http://www.stellman-greene.com/astellman/mencoder_tivo/>:

> When TiVo released version 7.2 of the TiVo software and version 2.2 of
> the TiVo desktop software, they added a feature which allows the TiVo to
> retrieve video from a home network. Unfortunately, the TiVo can't play
> all formats. mencoder_tivo.pl will read any video file and convert it
> into a format which the TiVo can play.

I included options to allow the user to set the resolution and bitrate, as
well as an option to create a low-quality file. It's written in Perl, and
requires mencoder to be in the path.

Andrew Stellman
"Applied Software Project Management" (O'Reilly, November 2005)
http://www.stellman-greene.com