[MPlayer-users] cannot play some rmvb files, maybe an old problem

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 07:32:57 CEST 2005

Globetrekker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using mplayer on Ubuntu 5.04. I downloaded all-20050412.tar.bz2
> and unpacked it and copied the directory to /usr/lib/win32.
>
> I can play most rmvb files I downloaded, sometimes I get error like
> below. Sorry I didn't browse the mailinglist archive, maybe this is
> an old problem. Anyway, this is the first time I use mplayer. It's
> pretty good. If it can play all rmvb files, I'm about to uninstall
> realplayer.
>
> Any ideas?

> The error message is:
>
> MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

For one thing, you're using a comparatively ancient version of MPlayer.
You should, at the *very* least, be using the latest pre7 release;
better still, try CVS.

<snip>
> MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open
> - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
>   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
>   disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
> - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
>   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
>   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
>   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
>   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

Did you read this? You certainly didn't follow it.

As it happens, you shouldn't follow those instructions yet - because you
aren't using the latest version, and it is *very* likely that the
problem has been fixed (at least partly) since your version was
released. Upgrade; if the problem still exists, then try doing what was
suggested above.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.