[MPlayer-users] mpeg2enc discrepencies

Sterling Sympatico smacnay at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 20 18:51:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

I need some help with creating an NTSC DVD.  I have used two methods and
seen two different results.

If I use the tovid (tovid.sourceforge.net) scripts which rip audio and
video from an input file, then mux them using mpeg2enc, the resulting
file is dvd compatible and playable in mplayer (cvs).  Mplayer even
displays the correct amount of total time in the encoded video when osd
is activated.

If I use mencoder and the instructions in the mplayer docs for encoding
to ntsc dvd (same bitrate parameters as the tovid scripts use), I again
get a playable and dvd-compatible file.  However, when mplayer plays the
file, the osd shoes the overall time to be incorrect.  If the file is
1hr24min long, the mencoder-created file will display 42min in total
length.  The file is still playable to the end.

tcprobe -i tovid.dvd will show the file to be 1hr24min
tcprobe -i mencoder.dvd will show the length to be 42min

mplayer -frames 0 -identify will show similar results.

Is this issue a concern when creating a dvd to play in hardware dvd
players?

Thanks in advance,

Sterling