[MPlayer-users] select network iface for incoming udp multicast video stream

Eric Thomas ethomas at claranet.fr
Tue Sep 20 10:26:49 CEST 2005

Hi,

The title almost says it all.
But some details may help...

By inserting a hub between my settopbox and my triple play DSL modem, I
can now have acces to the video stream.
I've added a second NIC to my Pc so it can be connected to both LAN and
hub, receiving video stream (udp multicast).
But mplayer (mplayer-1.0-0.16.pre7.2.fc4 from freshrpms) keeps listening
to my LAN interface.
I haven't found any option to tell mplayer which network interface to
listen to.
What is mplayer's behaviour ? how does it choose which is the default
interface ? first one ?

Please notice that I want to keep the video stream out of my LAN
network. I'm not even talking about sharing video, it's just that it
would be a mess !

If you're asking: of course playing video stream is ok when connecting
my LAN interface to the hub.
I'm just fed up with manually doing the switch beetween LAN and hub.
And I need LAN access to google why I can only watch I few channels with
my pc (mplayer or other) among the dozens I can watch on TV.

Regards,
Eric