[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: slightly confused by mencoder output

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue Sep 13 22:59:51 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 09:11 schrieb RC:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:37:41 +0200
>
> Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Or any other supported resolution if you have a saa7134 card because
> > the saa7134 chip has a not-so-bad deinterlacer.
>
> Does it do ivtc too?

I don't know. I'm living in a PAL country :-)
I think it's doing only deinterlacing.

> If not, it would be a good idea to mention this
> is PAL-specific...

Deinterlacing is not pal-specific. You can deinterlace ntsc as well but
sometimes it would be better to use ivtc. But that's a disadvantage of
NTSC, not a PAL-speciality.

> > > Your output dimentions should be exact multiples of 16.
> >
> > That's not so important if you don't care about the bitrate. If in
> > doubt add 10% to the bitrate if your output dimentions are not
> > multiples of 16.
>
> It's more important than just bitrate...  I've got some files with crop
> dimentions not multiples of 16, and they're always causing problems.  I
> can't even remember how many bugreports I've filed because of them...

Hm.

> Bug workarounds have been added to lavc.  Filters have been patched and
> re-patched not to crash...

That's good.

> Some filters still crash.

Video filters should not crash only because the video dimensions are not
multiples of 16.

> Bugs still
> occasionally pop-up in lavc and mplayer/mencoder that cause these files
> to crash, not output any video, or have major distortions, etc.

So you mean, that from now on everybody should only create non-multiples
of 16 videos to get those bugs ironed out? :)

Regards,
  Matthias