[MPlayer-users] slightly confused by mencoder output

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Sep 12 06:39:32 CEST 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:08:25 +0200
The Eye <mhellwig at gmx.at> wrote:

> video0:width=720:height=530:

A height of 530 is nonsensical.  Since the content is interlaced, you
can only capture at the card's full heigh (576 PAL / 480 NTSC) or
exactly half (or 1/4 1/8 etc).
Use "-vf scale=x:y" if you want a different output height.

> crop=688:518:16:6,pp=fd

Your output dimentions should be exact multiples of 16.

> now, what I'm confused about is a: why the 2 "Building audio filter
> chain" lines? b: Why the two "ODML: Aspect information ..." lines?

Well, a highly technical explanation about the internals of mplayer
would explain this, but I think that might leave you more confused.

The simple answer is, these are often just informational messages,
designed to help diagnose problems.

> And while the file is running, over the course of 40 minutes, the
> audio drifts _considerably_ away from the video. Looks like more than
> a second near the end.

Well, with any a/v problems with mplayer, try with "-mc 0", "-mc 0.1" "-
mc 10", and "-autosync 30".

If that doesn't solve it, it's probably clock drift, caused by capturing
audio using your sound-card.