[MPlayer-users] Is S-Video and external monitor limited by laptop's graphics card's max resolution.

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue Sep 6 01:19:45 CEST 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> Rich Felker wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:51:36PM -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>>>>> On 3., i made a typo, 1280x768 is not 16:9, i meant to say 
>>>>> 1280x720. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, although not all of 
>>>>> external VGA or LCD resolutions might be supported. So i guess the 
>>>>> answer is 75% chance yes, 25% No, or something like that.
>>>> I don't see how the lcd resolution is relevant if you're using an
>>>> external monitor.
>>> I guess this has to do w/ the graphics card and the drivers. A 
>>> laptop say w/ 1024x768 max resolution may not be able to handle 
>>> 1920x1200 on an external monitor. I think this is why my laptop (on 
>>> Windows, haven't configed my FC3 for dual-head yet) only gave me 5 
>>> out 7 choices of my desktop monitor's resolution.
>> This is a matter of crappy windows drivers, nothing else. Just disable
>> to output to lcd first to make sure you don't damage the lcd
>> controller, and then you can freely set any mode imaginable (within
>> your card's dot clock limitations).
>> Rich
> Btw., here's what i stumbled on regarding HDTV out from Radeon:
> http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/HDTV_Setup_Guide.pdf
> It describes Windows, but there is a proprietary driver for Linux as 
> well, and from
> http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html#1
> i conclude that 3D and hardware acceleration, as well as dual-head, 
> and S-Video are supported. They also mention a control panel on Linux 
> (i hope it carries at least 70% of its Windows capabilities). ;)
> I can't wait to see if all this would actually work on my new laptop: 
> probably not, cause i'm not supposed to be lucky. ;)
> Anyway, the guide above says that DVI-I, ATI component video adapter 
> to DVI-I or VGA connector, and then S-Video, in that order, are the 
> best ways to do HDTV from Radeon, which i'm sure are ordered the same 
> in general. What this means is:
> if component video adapter to DVI-I or VGA connector is easy to find 
> and doesn't cost a fortune, S-Video port in laptops and even desktops 
> is an unnecessary expense for users who plan on using their 
> laptop/desktop only w/ HDTV, as opposed to regular TV. I guess higher 
> end boxes have S-Video by default, and it can't be taken off, but in 
> general this looks like a good piece of info to know.

Btw., here's a laptop w/ Composite Video Out:

Anyway, from the same guide above, i also conclude that VGA-out onto an 
HDTV (or HD LCD monitor) provides better quality output than S-Video. 
And since i made every effort to avoid buying a DVD player, i'm likely 
to be buying an HDTV w/ VGA in, or HD LCD monitor (i guess they now have 
those that look good in daylight too).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 2781 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
URL: <http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/attachments/20050905/9a273798/attachment.bin>

More information about the MPlayer-users mailing list