[MPlayer-users] Networked CD Player

Olaf ovonrein at btopenworld.com
Mon Oct 31 00:57:32 CET 2005

Hi,

I am looking for some pointers here from the community at large:

I know that the general idea is to shove a CD into the drive, copy it to disk
and stream it across into my SBs.

What, though, if I did not want to copy to disk?  Perhaps because the disk is
only played occasionally and generally not worth the copy bother?  Or perhaps
because I borrowed the CD and am highly conscientuous about copyright?

Whatever the case may be, it occurs to me that

(1) Using XP, I could create a symbolic name for my CD drives under the SLIM
music folder.  They would seem like an ordinary music folder then, so long as
there's a CD inside.

(2) Every time I change the CD, I suppose I would have to ask SLIM to rescan
the music library.  That's a bit painful.  Rescanning the music library always
is.  I was wondering whether SLIM were working on a smarter way of picking up
changes to the music folder such that (a) the server would notice itself when
it needs to rescan and (b) such rescans could be more targeted.

In this context it would be quite goofy if the server could itself detect that
the CD was swapped over and that it needed to have a look at the
updated "folder".

(3) I notice that CDs carry files ending in .cda.  I stream FLAC.  Is there a
codec that transcodes from one to the other?

Thanks for your thoughts - ovr.