[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: BUG - Garbled output playing realaudio

Bryan Alton balton at eircom.net
Wed Oct 19 13:22:47 CEST 2005

Ergzay wrote:

> On 2005/10/16, at 3:40, Bryan Alton wrote:
>>

>>> If large gaps of 15-25 secs occur, then the cache is likely to be
>>> depleted
>>> by the time packets are inserted and the audio stream will break up.
>>> In
>>> these circumstance the patch will close Mplayer down with an EOF if
>>> the
>>> cache stays at 0% for about 10 seconds.  This will force users to
>>> restart
>>> rather than wait and hope that the stream may build up the cache and
>>> stabilise which can't happen with a real-time live stream.
>>
>> This behaviour doesn't work when Mplayer output is piped to another
>> process
>> or outputs to a file. In these circumstances cache goes to 0% and more
>> or
>> less stays at zero since the output device can accept data faster than
>> the
>> real stream supplies it.
>>
>> Therefore I am removing this piece of code.  The attached patch has the
>> offending code removed.
>
> This entire discussion should really be moved to mplayer-dev as no
> developers will see your patches on mplayer-users. So, I guess just
> repost this patch in devel describing what it does etc.
>
> Ergzay

Thanks for the comment but because the problem is not easily reproducible I
needed users to test the patch out fully before the dev group will accept
the patch.  If I only posted to the dev group very few people will notice.

I have posted the original patch to dev and got no comments regarding the
patch from users or developers, however some users tested it having seen it
on this list and I had to withdraw the original patch to refine it.

Bryan