[MPlayer-users] Creating a stupid person do all mplayer package

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 19 06:23:32 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:52:48PM -0400, Ergzay wrote:
> I am the leader of the anime club at my school. I want them to be able
> to play the videos that I download on their computers. The codecs of
> the videos range from several different versions of xvid and divx and a
> few with h.264. The audio codecs are mp3 or aac or ac3. Almost none of
> them are terribly computer literate. In other words installing mplayer
> on their own is pretty much impossible (compiling from source I mean,
> with right codecs). They all run on windows. I want to compile on my
> Mac OS X computer an mplayer windows executable with a gui or an easy
> UI that has at least all the above codecs (hopefully more). Is this
> possible, and if so how do I do it?

The win32 port of mplayer doesn't have gui, but otherwise you can just
use the binary distributed at the mplayer site. Tell them to just drag
the files onto the mplayer icon and all should be fine.. except that
you can't switch audio tracks at runtime so they might get stuck
watching the dub!!

If this happens, make them a second shortcut for mplayer -aid 1.. :)

Rich