[MPlayer-users] Problems playing an XVID file.

Phil Oleynik oleynik.phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Oct 17 16:58:06 CEST 2005

Rainer Hantsch wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I tried to play a movie I got. It has extreme distortion of the video and
>mplayer (as well as xine) reports repeatedly that it does not support more
>than one warp point.
>
>>From the moment where this message appears, I see more and more artifacts
>until the whole picture is lost, until a new keyframe (i guess) comes. Then it
>starts again...
>
>On my laptop I have a newer version of mplayer, doing the same nasty stuff.
>
>Can someone help, please? Would like to convert the file into a normal one.

>MPlayer 0.90pre8-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

First of all, as it was said, this version is no more good, it's *TOO
OLD*. Try current CVS, with current
FFmpeg CVS also.

>Detected AVI file format!
>VIDEO:  [XVID]  576x272  12bpp  29.97 fps  1171.3 kbps (143.0 kbyte/s)

Since it's XVID, is it possible to use xvid library? Just download,
compile and install, then recompile mplayer,
paying attention if configure sees xvid.(Do not forget ldconfig after
installing xvid before doing anything else)
Possibly, your problem is that the file you try to play is compressed
with xvid-only readable options.

Philipp