[MPlayer-users] Odd video bit rates and Fraps

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Sun Oct 16 22:29:03 CEST 2005

First of all I want to say a big thank you to the people who got the
Fraps codec working on mplayer, it's extremely cool. I use Fraps 2.5 in
WinXP and then play the files back with mplayer in Linux. I also use a
dual amd64 to compress the Fraps files with mencoder (in 32-bit mode),
with this command (I should tweak it and get better quality, suggestions
welcome):

  mencoder32 $i.$f -ffourcc $VCODEC -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:br=128 threads=2 -o $DIR/$i.$e

I've been using VCODEC=DIVX and see this sort of thing when I play the
compressed file:

  VIDEO:  [DIVX]  1024x768  24bpp  30.000 fps  -17179870.0 kbps
(-2097152.0 kbyte/s)
  Clip info:  Software: MEncoder dev-CVS--4.0.2

Two questions: is that odd video bitrate a bug?  On a file captured from
TV using mencoder I get sensible numbers:

  VIDEO:  [DIVX]  640x480  24bpp  29.970 fps  801.0 kbps (97.8 kbyte/s)

Secondly, Fraps.com has released several new versions since then, the
latest is 2.6.4.  The CVS version's pre8 changelog lists "Fraps video
decoder (v0 & v1)" via FFmpeg/libavcodec, and ffmpeg's changelog simply
says "Fraps FPS1 video decoder". Which version if any is not supported?
Can I use the latest Fraps? I don't want to upgrade to a version that
produces files mencoder can't compress.

Dave