[MPlayer-users] dvd audio encoding issue -- causing Too many audio buffer -- a possible solution

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Oct 7 19:42:19 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 10:16:35AM -0700, Mudit Wahal wrote:
> An update to the issue.
>
> I used DVD Shrink to just backup the VTS_01 (title 1) and only keep the AC3 sound (it did show
> both 2.0 and 5.1). When I play the vob in the Power DVD player, it shows me its AC 5.1 from the
> first screen shot.
>
> But when I play it in mplayer, it "samples" it as AC 2.0 and allocates buffers based on that. So,
> no wonder, it runs out of audio buffer as soon as the 5.1 stream starts.
>
> I've been using mencoder on windows and linux exclusively to convert DVDs and Mpeg2-TS streams to
> xvid. This is the first time I've having issues.
>
> Should I resend this to the developers list ?

I don't have any solutions, but I have more information, as I've encountered many problems with this (and other movies) recently.

The problems are with Sony DVD's that are protected with the new Bad Sectors on DVD copy protection.

The video's I've found afflicted are Hitch, House of Flying Daggers and Kung-Fu Hustle.

Mplayer is able to play the movies and rips from them without difficulty, however, if you try to play the AC3 stream from these videos with a52dec, it will squip the first several frames (this is apparently normal) then go mad with error messages.

As far as I can tell, there is some 'junk' at the start of the AC3 streams with these movies that causes all kinds of headaches, but it only occures at the very start of the stream.