[MPlayer-users] [BUGS] Problems with MPlayer 1.0pre7 mpeg muxer

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Wed Oct 5 18:24:29 CEST 2005

Giacomo Comes wrote:

>>>the attached patch should fix the telecine problems.
>>>Please, test and report, both with 0/1/2 b-frames.
>>>

>>I have done yesterday a quick test with SVCD mpegs
>>with 0/1/2 b-frames. The patch works.
>>
>>I will continue to do tests with DVD and submit a full report
>>probably tomorrow.
>>

>Ok, here is a full report about the patch.
>
>What I'm going to say apply to both MPlayer 1.0pre7 and CVS.
>
>The patch works in the sense that now my DVD player can play
>SVCD and DVD that are telecined AND with B-frames.
>Without the patch such mpegs created with mencoder plays
>very badly (for example for SVCD the audio plays at normal
>speed and the video plays at 80% speed, about every 15 seconds
>the audio stops to let the video come back in sync and then the
>proces repeats).
>
>But, with the patch applied, I have observed another problem.
>I have done a SVCD created with the patched mencoder.
>
>The playback on my DVD player starts fine but then slowly
>the audio anticipates the video. After 1-1.5 minutes
>the delay can reach 1 second, and at some point the video
>accelerate to come back in sync.
>
>I have observed this phenomen with:
>telecined mpeg (0 B-frames)
>non telecined mpeg (30000/1001 fps) without B-frames
>non telecined mpeg (30000/1001 fps) with B-frames
>
>The same kind of mpegs plays fine on the DVD player if I use
>the unpatched mencoder to create them.
>
>Of course, in all the cases, mplayer never has problem in playing
>such mpegs.
>
>It would be good if somebody else could test the patch.
>I don't think I'm doing something wrong, but it could be.
>
>Nico, can it be that the patch while fixing a bug, introduces
>another one? Or simply make more evident another bug already
>present (I was able to see the bug also with the unpatched mencoder 1.0pre7
>using no telecine and no B-frames)?
>
>If you need specific tests please let me know.
>
>Giacomo

I suspect that mencoder is skipping and duplicating frames, is it?
If so try to force it not to do it and see how the resulting video plays
in your dvd.
I have another patch in mind that could fix another source of problems;
I'll post it
when it's ready.
BTW, did you notice any more of those dirburbing  jumping fields (echoed
from the past)
that were so evident in the sample you linked?

 Sponsor:
 Jamba: Personalizza il tuo cellulare con le TOP suonerie!
* La prima suoneria è GRATIS! Scaricala ORA!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3604&d=5-10