[MPlayer-users] documentation mencoder section multiple jpg / png / tga

Helmut Rathgen helmut.rathgen at web.de
Wed Nov 30 12:44:22 CET 2005

Dear all,

I would like to suggest an addition to the MEncoder Doc
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html.

For me the example commands to generate movies from multiple jpg / png /
tga, e.g.

mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf w=800:h=600:fps=25:type=jpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac copy -o /output.avi/

did not  work.

I did a web search on this topic and found that this is a general
problem and many people were not able to solve it. In my case the
problem was with the automatic choice of the video codec for the
generation of the stream. So it works if I specify the video codec
explicitly, e.g.

mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf w=800:h=600:fps=25:type=jpg -vc ijpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac copy -o /output.avi

or

/mencoder mf://*.png -mf fps=25 -vc mpng -ovc copy -oac copy -o /output.avi

/So I would like to suggest you to add an example like this to the MEncoder Doc section cited above!

Kind Regards,

Helmut