[MPlayer-users] compiling and using mplayer/mencoder on AMD 64 bit architecture

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:23:00 CET 2005

Hi,

On 11/26/05, tommmmmm <tommmmmm at gmail.com> wrote:
> As we know, the mplayer fails to compile when all of the following
> conditions are present:
> 1. you have 64 bit OS and you want to compile a 64 bit mplayer
> 2. you want to compile mplayer with win32 codecs ( the .rm .rmvb .wmv codecs
> )
>
> The solutions are:
> 1. install mplayer for 32 bit OS ( see Readme file to learn how to do it )
> 2. Read above beta-solution by Phil Oleynik
>
> One question is not answered yet:
> 1. when the official CVS  realease will support wmv9 and all other win32
> codecs on 64 bit architecture OS'es?

As far as wmv is concerned: when MS will port their wmv codecs to
64bits (right now, if I'm not mistaken, even in winxp64, wmp still
runs in 32 bits). Same with other codecs: gimme a 64bit version of
each proprietary codec, and it may be possible to use them in MPlayer.

Mike melanson had some information about how to use VC-1 reference
decoder, which, if I'm not mistaken, allows the decoding of some wmv9
videos, but not all: http://www.multimedia.cx/eggs/
This is just a temporary solution as the reference decoder is a slow
as drunken snail, therefore some sense is to be made out of the code
so a faster implementation can be made.

But please, you have to keep in mind that MPlayer and FFmpeg is a
community supported project, which relies on ppl's volunteered work to
progress. Therefore a roadmap doesn't make much sense.

It'll be done "when it's ready". In the meantime, you're welcome to
help ppl out.

Guillaume
--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's
at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember