[MPlayer-users] Why create video in 1st pass?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe tshepang at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:13:32 CET 2005

> In any case, the codec still does have to encode the video to collect
> stats about it, so there's no way (that I know of) to short-cut this
> step of the encoding process.

>From above statement, I assume this is not a possible scenario:
a) source file is .VOB
b) decode it to raw video
c) collect stats by studying raw video
d) reencode it to .AVI using stats

and this more correct:
a) source file is .VOB
b) decode it to raw video
c) reencode it to .AVI
d) collect stats by studying .AVI

or do we get rid of (b) in which case the .VOB to .AVI conversion is
done directly?

> Strange ppl (like me) like to be able to see how the first pass looks
> in order not to have to wait till the full encode is finished to bump
> up the bitrate or stuff like that.

So you can spot that 2nd pass output will not look satisfactorily
judging from the output from the 1st pass?

Thanks...