[MPlayer-users] [Obscure] MPlayer/MEncoder features?

Ashok Thirumurthi athirumurthi at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:49:55 CET 2005

My review of the MPlayer docs suggests that an embedded player doesn't quite
meet the specification that I have met with a QuickTime API.  Naturally, the
documentation does a poor job of mentioning what can't be done.  I have the
following concerns:

DURATIONS:

- When I run mplayer.exe filename, a still image flashes by.  Do I have to
construct a movie using MEncoder to set it's duration?  If so, can I encode
from memory?
- Can I adjust the duration of stills (and the last frame of movies) to
synchronize a -playlist with an -audiofile?  If so, how can I calculate the
duration of the audiofile and playlist movies?
- Can I get an event when each item in a playlist has completed?  Alternately,
can I poll the remaining duration of an item in a playlist?

ADDING FRAMES:

- If I start with -idle, can I send 'l' to load a file when it is available?
Can I use -slave and stdin with -wid to send 'l'?
- Can I supply a memory buffer (processed with my own filter chain) rather
than a file for stills?

AUDIO:

- Is there a way to get multi-channel audio using a playlist and an -audiofile?
- Will the start of an -audiofile be synchronized to the start of the -
playlist even if the playlist has large files?
- Can I fade out audio when a movie ends?

PLAYLIST:

- Can I implement my own toolbar for the playlist?  For instance, I could
specify a -wid to embed MPlayer in my frame window.  In that case, can I
capture mouse and keyboard input if I run with -slave?
- Can I implement transitions (i.e. cross-fade) between stills in a -
playlist?  Can I extract poster frames and ending frames from movies to
construct transitions?
- Is there a command line equivalent to FrameStep?

SUBTITLES:

- How are sub-titles added to media?  Can subtitles be added to stills (by
encoding as a movie perhaps)?
- Do any of the sub-title formats include multi-line text including IPTC
properties like the title and caption ?  How about filename, date, size, focal
length, and shutter speed?

Thanks for your help.  The decoder speed is blinding.  The range of media
formats and OS support is a godsend,

- Ashok Thirumurthi

Note: This is my second attempt to post to gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user.