[MPlayer-users] Upgrade issues I am puzzled about

John McKee jmmckee at flinthills.com
Sun Nov 20 21:43:23 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Jan Knutar [mailto:jknutar at nic.fi]
Sent: 11/20/2005 1:48:26 PM
To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Upgrade issues I am puzzled about

On Sunday 20 November 2005 20:24, John McKee wrote:

> Error: /usr/local/lib/codecs/cook.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

First it tries 'cook.so'

> opening shared obj '/usr/local/lib/codecs/cook.so.6.0'
> Audio codec: [0] 8 Kbps Music
> Audio bitrate: 8.000 kbit/s (1000 bps)
> AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 8.0 kbit/6.25% (ratio: 1000->16000)
> Selected audio codec: [racook] afm:realaud (RealAudio COOK)

Then it tries 'cook.so.6.0', and succeeds.

> See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers. Try -vo x11

Try -vo x11

> Since codecs.conf is not present in either location, am I supposed to create that file?

No it's fine to not have one.

I have no ideas about keyboard control. Make sure the MPlayer window has focus.

Some more experimentation followed and, I even read the man page.  The man page shows p/space.  The letter 'p' doesn't work, upper or lower case.  Spacebar works fine to stop and start playback.

But, gmplayer still only shows a box when I abort the command.  It also complains that /dev/rtc shouls be readable.  Here is the exact dialog shown:

vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (it should be readable by the user.)

But, when I check /dev/rtc, it DOES show readable by all.  Where would I look to determine if it was busy?

John McKee