[MPlayer-users] No MP3 encoder in LAVC??

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 18:09:18 CET 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> configure.log does in fact report successful detection of
>> libavcodec, so that isn't the problem. -ac ffmp3 works just fine
>> for audio decoding, so there is some form of libavcodec-based MP3
>> support in there. 'ffmpeg -formats' from a CVS updated pretty much
>> the same time reports 'mp3' as one of the recognized codecs, and
>> the same copy of ffmpeg is capable of encoding MP3 audio, so my
>> system does have everything necessary for libavcodec to do MP3
>> encoding.
>>
>> 'mp3' is listed as one of the valid arguments to '-lavcopts acodec'
>> in the man page; I've tried 'mp2', which is also listed and is the
>> default, and that does not produce this problem.
>>
>> Any clue what's going on, or where I could look to find out more?
>
> maybe you configured  libavcodec without support for lame encoding,

That was the only thing I could think of, but as far as I can tell there
*is* no way to configure libavcodec via MPlayer's configure script; I'd
inferred from that that MPlayer would simply compile *everything* in
libavcodec which it possibly could. If that isn't the case (which seems
likely, since there are parts of libavcodec I've never been able to get
to compile as part of FFmpeg), then how *does* one tell MPlayer which
parts of libavcodec to include and which to omit?

> but don't bother investigating: you should never use lavc's mp3 from
> mencoder; you had better use -oac mp3lame instead

I've seen that reiterated numerous times over the past month or three,
and I can of course do that, but that isn't the real point. The point is
that this capability used to be available, but no longer is, even though
as far as I can tell I'm not doing anything different.

I try to compile in everything I can manage to, even down to
blinkenlights support despite the fact that the odds of my ever being
connected to the necessary hardware are ridiculously slim; even if it's
useless in practice, I want to have libavcodec's MP3 encoder available,
just on principle.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.