[MPlayer-users] Question on conversion of svq1 and wmv files

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Nov 17 20:57:11 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:41:51 -0800
Dave Hayes <dave at jetcafe.org> wrote:

> $ /usr/local/bin/mencoder movie1.mov -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -lavcopts
>   vcodec=flv:abitrate=56 -srate 22050 -mc 1 -ofps 15 -of lavf -o
>   movie.flv

Is there some reason you're using -mc 1?  I would first try without
"-mc" at all.  If that doesn't help, try different values for -mc.
0/0.01/0.1/10.

You can also try using the binary DLL instead of ffmpeg by adding "-vfm
qtvideo" to your command-line.

And as always, you should try a CVS snapshot to see if the problem has
already been fixed.

> > If you're using -of lavf, the file extension of the output matters.
> > Incidentally, if you aren't using "-of" to set the type, you're
> > creating an AVI file, even if you'ved named it ".mov"
>
> That right there helps a ton. I didn't know this, thanks for
> explaining it. Is this explained on the manpage or the HTML
> documentation?

Attentive reading of the man page will certainly tell you all of this.
The HTML documentation isn't explicit about it, but reading through it
should still give you a good idea how it works.

RANT:  I've never understood why so many people expect just changing the
file extension will work.  In my many years of experience using numerous
programs, I can only recall a handful that will actually change the type
based on the filename extension (sox/convert/ffmpeg).  Absolutely
everything else in the world requires you to set a filetype option
somewhere.