[MPlayer-users] Re: Changing aspect ratio while playing a file

Sebastian Kaps seb at sauerland.de
Thu Nov 17 07:00:07 CET 2005

Hi Tony!

> I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some TVs,
> especially cheaper ones, don't have fine enough phosphor to resolve 720
> pixels across 3/4 of their width.

Okay, such TVs may exist. But I'm sure that especially larger TVs (I
have a 32" screen) do have enough phosphor.

> That's not quite what I mean. Maybe I should have called it "mapping"
> rather than "scaling". Even if you consider each set of 3 phosphor dots
> to be a pixel, I don't think they're arranged in a rectangular grid, so
> it's impossible for pixels to line up with them. The (triple) scanning
> beam just lights them up as it passes over, and its intensity varies
> with the input, which is an analogue conversion of the pixels, so the
> frequency limits of the convertor and the signal path smooth out the
> pixel borders anyway.

Ah, I see. But this behaviour is common to all CRT devices, so we don't
need to talk about this. Fact is, that the picture quality does not
improve if you use only 70% of the available "horizontal bandwidth" to
display a picture.

> Yes, something like "-monitoraspect auto" would be nice. Even better if
> it supported WSS on the TV out.

Yes that would be extremely great :-)

> What graphics card do you use for your TV out BTW? I use a Matrox
> G450.

I'm running mplayer on an Intel i830 based set-top-box that uses a FS454
chip for TV output. The TV output is done by the FS454 chip itself, so I
don't need mplayer to support it directly. I only need the X-Server to
support it, which it does since Intel provides some Linux drivers.

--
Ciao, Sebastian