[MPlayer-users] Re: Changing aspect ratio while playing a file

Sebastian Kaps seb at sauerland.de
Wed Nov 16 22:41:44 CET 2005

Hi Tony!

>> That's nuts, since all 16:9 TVs I know do have a 4:3 mode where 4:3
>> videos are displayed in a 4:3 area on the center of the screen (i.e.
>> black bars left and right). So you won't lose anything if you leave 4:3
>> videos unscaled and switch the TV into 4:3 mode.

> That's as long as the TV has enough phosphor to still show all the
> detail,

Well, I assume that's always the case. The 4:3 area of a 16:9 screen
should always have at least 720x576 physical pixels. Otherwise nobody
would buy a 16:9 TV.

> but I think you're right to want to do it that way anyway: if you can
> tell any difference, the "natural" scaling of the TV should in theory
> look better than software scaling.

By "natural scaling" you mean showing a video with a resolution larger
than the physical resolution of the output device? Like what happens
when you switch a 15" CRT monitor to 1280x1024?
In my opinion this should not occur in my case.

> I've snipped some relevant bits out of a script, so this may not work
> correctly.

Thank's, I'll have a look at the script tomorrow.
A native mplayer function would be desireable, though.
Any developers reading this?
It shouldn't be much of a problem to implement this feature since the
basic stuff has to be there already for the "monitoraspect" option.

--
Ciao, Sebastian