[MPlayer-users] How to set mplayer binary file name when compiling CVS

EC zybhjk at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 23:15:13 CET 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:13:29 +0500
Mustafa Abbasi <lordverminard at gmail.com> wrote:

> but problem is i can't differentiate b/ww the other install and the
> compiles. both are named mplayer. i know its possible to rename it by hand
> but thats really a crude way.

It is pretty common practice, actually.  On debian, a pretty standards-oriented
distro, I have /usr/bin/gcc3.3 and gcc4.0, as well as python2.3 and python2.4.
Then /usr/bin/(gcc|python) is a link to the version I want to use.  Just call
your custom version ~/bin/mplayer-cvs or something, or rename them both to
non-default names, and then have ~/bin/mplayer link to the one you would like
to use.

EC