[MPlayer-users] AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Wed Nov 9 23:38:57 CET 2005

tir, 08.11.2005 kl. 20.53 skrev Kyrre Ness Sjobak:
> I just encoded a rather long (10 GB,45-60 minutes) piece of raw video
> from my tv-card (source: an old Hi8 videocam connected on composite,
> BT878 over v4l2), but when trying to play it, it fails with the
> mentioned message. For player command output (verbose mode), see
> attached gzip'ed text file.
>
> mencoder command:
> mencoder -vf eq=0:0,pp=hb:c/vb:c/dr:c/lb:c/tn -tv
> driver=v4l2:chanlist=europe-west:norm=PAL:device=/dev/video0:input=1:mjpeg:decimation=2:amode=0:volume=100:channels=SE19-NRK1,E8-NRK2,E10-TV2,SE15-TV3,SE11-TV_Norge,SE8-Discovery,SE9-Discovery_Animal_Planet,SE17-Showtime,SE16-TV_4,SE20-BBC_World,E7-SVT_1,E11-SVT_2,SE13-The_Voice,SE14-Disney_Channel,SE18-Eurosport,SE7-unknown_SE7,E5-TV_Budstikka,SE10-INFO:channel=NRK2 -aspect 4/3 tv:// -o tape1_uncompressed.avi -oac pcm -ovc raw
>
> (yes, i know the channel list is quite unneccessary, lifted it from
> mplayerTV's export script function and then tweaked it).
>
> When i try to encode smaller videos (a minute or two, couple of hundred
> megabytes, aborting by ^C much sooner), i have no problem at all playing
> them.
>
> I cannot rip directly to MPEG-2 (the whole point is to transfer those
> old tapes over to DVD), as that causes a very blocky image - i think
> that my CPU's to weak (Intel Pentium 3, 650 Mhz) to do that directly. So
> my plan was to do it as a two-step process - first rip it realtime, and
> then let mencoder use the time it needs to munch trough the data later.
>
> I also discovered two other problems:
> - when encoding with xawtv, i do for some reason get an upside-down
> image. To play this, i used the -flip option for mplayer, but when
> playing another video (that wasn't originaly inverted), i get an
> inverted video (by inverting an univerted), if -flip is specifyed or
> not. Reason? -flip turns on "flip image upside down" option in mplayer
> config permanently (or at least until discovered and unchecked).
> - if i play the before mentioned file with the -idx flag to generate an
> index and make it searchable, it doesn't generate and index once, but
> does so every time i try to open the file. looong wait. If i try to fix
> it by mencoding it, using the command specifyed in
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#id2873868
> i get the same error message when trying to play back the video again.
>
> This is MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.3.3, downloaded and compiled from source
> last saturday (5/11/05)
>
> Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk

Sorry for ansvering myself, but...

Hmm.. maybe the problem the problem is due to limitations in the avi
container format (the 2GB thingy)? Can i rip raw video to mpeg container
format? Or can i somehow get *lossless/lowloss* mpeg2 movie directly
(*if* my pc can encode it quicly enough)? Sending it over LAN in
realtime to a more powerfull computer, and code it there? I am planning
to write the movies to DVD using DVDStyler.

What audio format does a normal HW DVD-player use?

But there are still those bugs kicking around...

Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk