[MPlayer-users] structure protection

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 6 04:20:02 CET 2005

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:23:48 +0100
ilab <ilab at freemail.hu> wrote:

> does someone know the solution for ripping a dvd protected by
> 'structure protection' on linux?

I assume you're talking about RCE...

> I managed to copy the stuff to HDD with mplayer -dumpstream, and
> mplayer can play the result from HD without problems (no A/V desync),
> but when I try to encode it with  mencoder, it skips frames all the
> time and the result is A/V desync.

NTSC or PAL?

Look at the verbose output of mplayer, and use the "-aid" number you
think is associated with the correct soundtrack.  Directly from the
DVD you can use eg. "-alang en" instead.

It would be nice if mplayer/mencoder were consistent in which audio
track they use when none is specified, but that's not the case.  But
it's not really a bug in mencoder.