[MPlayer-users] Consistent mencoder AV Sync problems

cothrige cothrige at bellsouth.net
Mon May 30 05:26:10 CEST 2005

I am having some difficulty and am curious if anyone out there can
make some recommendations on what to do about it.  I have been using
mencoder for some time to transfer some dvd content to avi files and
put them on cds for viewing on a non-dvd playing machine, and have
never had any trouble with it at all.  That is until very recently.

About a week ago I upgraded my OS from Slack 9.1 to Slack 10.0.  Other
than that I have maintained everything exactly as is.  I am using
exactly the same mplayer, 1.0pre6a, as well as the same Lame and so
on.  What is happening is that with a typical extraction,
i.e. "mencoder dvd://1 -noodml -vf pp=lb -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:vbitrate=1800:keyint=150 -o
somefile.avi", I will have a successful encoding.  However, when
played back I have to adjust the sync as there is a small, but
very clear, problem in that area.  This has happened three times on
three different discs I have tested.  All have had the same exact amount
of difference.  Three taps on the '-' key and the playback is fine.

Fortunately I use transcode to even out the chunks for later splitting
into CDs, which is the point of the extraction.  I have discovered
that by inserting "-D 2" into the command line, which Transcode tells
me is a 66 millisecond change as compared to the 300 from mplayer, I
get a normal file.  So everything is okay in that I can get a playable
file, but I still have to go to the trouble of double-checking that
this is not the first file not to have the problem before using
transcode to fix it.  I also like things to work right, and mencoder
always has for me in the past.

Any ideas of why I am having this very consistent difficulty?  Is
there something in the Slackware 10.0 libraries which cause it?  Or am
I just goofing up my commands?  In any case, can it be fixed?
Any thoughts at all are greatly appreciated.

patrick