[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] monitoraspect

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Fri May 27 20:49:52 CEST 2005

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Matthias Wieser!
>
>  On 2005.05.27 at 20:11:28 +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote next:
>

>>>Therefore when using a 17" TFT one has to use a different
>>>monitoraspect-Parameter than one using a 17" CRT.
>>>Grabbing a ruler and
>>>measuring up ones displaying device might help in all cases to
>>>experience a distortion-free feature presentation.
>>
>>That's the reason for the option "DisplaySize" /etc/X11/XF86Config.
>>Set Display size correctly and all programs but MPlayer will show videos
>>distortion-free.
>

> Display size usually is correctly set already, X server queries it from
> monitor on startup.
> However, mplayer doesn't need it.. Just assuming that pixels are square
> should be fine, and will work even if display size is set up
> incorrectly. Now, people with non-square pixels probably really know
> what they are doing and can set monitoraspect manually.

The Point is that people using a CRT monitor with 1280x1024 px
resolution aren't usually aware they're not having square pixels.
mplayer though assumes this and anamorphic PAL videos are shown e.g. at
1280x720 in height, which is not in the physical AR of 16:9, but
something thinner, ~17:9, there are 60 pixels more to display in the
black bars around it.

I don't think it would be a risky guess that only half of the people
using this resolution are aware of this fact and thus don't have a
-monitoraspect line in their configuration...

Cheers,
Alex