[MPlayer-users] Legality of binary codecs

Gregor Richards gkrichax at ichips.intel.com
Thu May 26 23:57:11 CEST 2005

Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> On May 26, 2005, at 16.29, Gregor Richards wrote:
>
>> What is the legality status on the array of binary codecs provided at
>> MPlayerHQ.hu? I am particularly interested in Windows Media codecs in
>> a business environment (that is, with intranet distribution), in the
>> United States prmarily but also worldwide if possible.
>
> I'm no expert on this, but I'm pretty sure the Windows Media codecs
> are built into FFMpeg, which is an open source project. If memory
> serves, I believe that the codecs are reverse engineered, not derived
> from Microsoft codec software. FFMPEG is covered under the Gnu LGPL
> and has components covered under the GPL.
>
>> Are the codecs legal to users who have valid copies of some specific
>> license, such as an OS license with Microsoft?
>
> I would assume so. There is a Windows version of MPlayer. Unless there
> is some kind of contract between you and Microsoft where you state
> that you will exclusively use Microsoft's audio/video software, this
> should be 100% legal with just about any license you hold.
>
>> Are they legal outside of the US?
>
> Well, unless the particular country has a law against them, or
> software patents where MS holds the patents to the WMA/WMV codecs,
> they should be.
>
>> If the binary codecs provided aren't legal for use, is there any
>> legal way to play Windows Media content?
>
> Windows Media Player. There are (of course) Windows versions, as well
> as Macintosh versions. VLC also has WMA/WMV playback capability and is
> available on practically every platform imaginable.
>
>> (Not just ASF/WM* files, but the Windows Media codec itself)
>
> I'm not sure I quite understand this. Are you inquiring as to where
> one can obtain the Windows Media codecs themselves legally? Well, as
> states above, I believe that the FFMPEG codecs are 100% legal, so you
> should have no problems with that.
>
> Again: I'm not lawyer, and this is all from what I remember, so I
> wouldn't take this as law.
>

>> Thanks for any response.
>>
>> - Gregor Richards
>> Open Source Software Build Engineer,
>> Intel Corp

I was under the impression that the Windows Media 9 codec was not
supported in FFMPEG. That's what I meant to say when I said " (Not just
ASF/WM* files, but the Windows Media codec itself) ". I'm aware that
WM<9 support works fine, but I'm unsure whether this will be enough. At
least for the moment that's what we're aiming for.

Also, this is on GNU/Linux systems, if that helps.