[MPlayer-users] gmplayer not working

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:59:15 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 5/22/05, Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej.groups at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have had a problem for quite a while now, using gmplayer
> on slackware (9.0 to 10.1) (MPlayer 0.99 through 1.0pre7).
> The most recent approach is using gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.4
> and --enable-gui as the only non-default passed to ./configure
>
> When I start gmplayer nothing gets displayed, and th CPU
> usage goes up to 99% (the machines in question are a dual
> PIII 1GHz and a PIV 1.8GHz).
>
> Using
> time strace -o mplayer.txt gmplayer
> (when I press ctrl-c after a few seconds I get a dialog box
> displaying
> MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: unknown
> ) ...
> strace's output (4 seconds worth create a file of about 2.7MB)
> consists mainly of the following four lines:
> read(6, 0x40236000, 4096)               = -1 EISDIR (Is a directory)
> (~ 17,000 lines)
> and the three lines:
> gettimeofday({1116311203, 326993}, NULL) = 0
> ioctl(5, FIONREAD, [0])                 = 0
> poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}, {fd=7, events=POLLIN}], 2, 0) = 0
> which were repeated almost 10,000 times ...
>
> Any ideas on how to fix that would be greatly appreciated!
>
> On #mplayer I was told to just not use gmplayer. That is
> good enough for me, but my wife wants a GUI ;}

The easiest thing is probably to upgrade your wife ;-), but if your
prefer to hang on to her, please recompile MPlayer with debugging
symbols (./configure --enable-debug I think), that way, I think that
there's a chance that the errors outputted by MPlayer will be
understandable, and that we may help your out.

Regards,
Guillaume