[MPlayer-users] x264 and loss of sync with B-frames

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon May 16 15:05:12 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 03:50 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> in mencoder. a/v sync has absolutely nothing to do with codec.

At least with respect to x264, isn't the real issue here then that
mencoder can't handle B-frames, rather than that B-frames suck?
B-frames might add complexity, but your opinion in the past seems to be
that they suck, or are inherently bad or something.  I'm just not sure I
see that argument.

Anyway, I haven't noticed similar sync problems when using lavc.  With
x264, using B-frames actually causes an increased frame count in the
resulting output.  So it doesn't seem to me to be an architecture issue
if lavc doesn't have this problem.  Unless mencoder has those ugly hacks
you mentioned for lavc but not x264?

Thanks,
Jason.