[MPlayer-users] OT question - Video-Streaming - how?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed May 11 19:29:20 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:01:41PM +0200, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> Actually I would prefer to do that with with *.mpg or *.avi files, but this
> requires (especially .avi) to download the whole file first. Well, most
> browsers are smart enough to start playing while they still receive the file,
> but I assume that real streaming is still a better way.

No, streaming is ugly, slow, rarely working adn usually has trouble with
firewalls . Of course if you want to run a radio station you hardly have
a chance, and in theory it allows seeking (but only in theory).
MPlayer can play files from http, ftp, samba without downloading first
(well, except for mov, which is the only braindamaged format that you
really have to download completely before you can play it).
You can even just wget the file and play it while it is still being
downloaded - well, unless you insist on using Windows and its Media
Player for playback...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger