[MPlayer-users] OT question - Video-Streaming - how?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:15:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 5/11/05, Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was asked to find a way for making short movies (up to 15 minutes) available
> over the Internet.
>
> Actually I would prefer to do that with with *.mpg or *.avi files, but this
> requires (especially .avi) to download the whole file first. Well, most
> browsers are smart enough to start playing while they still receive the file,
> but I assume that real streaming is still a better way.
>
> Can someone recommend some FREE software which will run on SuSE 9.0 (or is
> possibly already included)?

Hey, you're asking that on MPlayer's ML, so I guess everybody will
tell you that MPlayer _already_ supports streaming over a large
variety of protocols. From the top of my head, ftp, http, udp, rtp,
smb, you name it.

Now, if you're looking for a _streaming_ server, maybe you're looking
for ffserver: http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffserver-doc.html or maybe
icecast http://www.icecast.org/ (not quite sure though).

Cheers,
Guillaume