[MPlayer-users] Question on DivX versions...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue May 10 22:51:08 CEST 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:05:05 +0200 (CEST)
Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:

> What's about XVID ? Many movies are available in this format. To which
> version of DivX is XVID compatible or can be compared with? Or is it
> totally different?

Well, Xvid (and lavc) has advanced features just like Divx5 does, so
they are comparable, though I'm not certain they are fully compatible.
If you disable the more advanced features, and stick to simple profile
(either for Xvid, lavc or Divx5) all of them should should be playable
by any decoder (Divx 5/4/3, Xvid 1.x/0.x, Quicktime, etc).