[MPlayer-users] Question on DivX versions...

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue May 10 17:59:20 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, 10 May 2005 at 15:33, David Norris wrote:
> On 5/10/05, Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:
> > What's about XVID ? Many movies are available in this format. To which
> > version of DivX is XVID compatible or can be compared with? Or is it totally
> > different?
>
> It's a completely different codec, and they're not interchangeable.

That's not quite true. Both DivX5 and XviD (and libavcodec's mpeg4 codec)
are implementing MPEG-4 standard. In theory, video streams produced by all
three should be playable by any standards-compliant decoder. In practice,
it all depends on the codec options used while encoding.

Additionally, lavc's mpeg4 and XviD are said to produce the highest
quality video.

Regards,
R.