[MPlayer-users] softsub in .avi file

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun May 8 21:18:30 CEST 2005

Rickard Närström wrote:

> I have find some .avi file with embeded soft subtitles, mplayer
> doesn't seem to understand those subtitles at all.
>
> I know that .avi files doesn't support embedded subtitles - but there
> still are there and I have succuessfully played the file with
> subtitles in  windows (Windows Media Player - with VobSub installed).

This problem has cropped up before, mainly I think with me. The problem
is that some program has stuck an entire separate .txt file *inside* the
AVI file (which is absolutely not the same as a more standard subtitle
stream); although MPlayer knows how to read the subtitle format in
question, because the file is not separate it has no way of knowing that
the subtitles exist.

When I brought this up before, back in the middle of '04, someone wrote
me a program which would go through such an AVI file and dump out the
subtitle section into a separate file; from there MPlayer can display it
just fine. The source to the program in question is attached; it totals
around 4K.

HTH.

--
       The Wanderer