[MPlayer-users] Converting avi to dvd

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Thu Mar 31 20:15:12 CEST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:52:35AM +0200, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am also looking for a simple solution to do that, but it is shocking how
> many different utilities this mkdvd requires.
>
> Is there no easier way? If I understand right, the "secret" is to build vob
> files from the source, put them into the right place of a directory tree with
> VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. and to finally use "mkisofs" with some options to
> explicitly tell it that a DVD-Image has to be built.
>
> Do I miss someting?

The process is not that simple :-).

You have to:
1) create a valid (DVD compliant) mpeg stream.
   MPlayer and/or mjpegtools can be used for that.
2) build the vob files from the mpeg stream.
   You need dvdauthor.
3) create the udf filesystem (with mkisofs).
4) burn the image with a dvd burner program.
   growisofs is a good one.

encode2mpeg makes your life easy.
(http://encode2mpeg.sf.net)

Giacomo