[MPlayer-users] Convert 23.97fps to PAL 25fps w/o duplicate frames

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Sat Mar 26 01:59:51 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to master some clips to PAL DVD, using mencoder -> avidemux ->
dvdauthor, with as high a quality as possible.

If my sources are 23.97fps NTSC, then I need to convert them to PAL frame
rate before passing it to avidemux (avidemux automatically takes care of
the resolution).

mencoder -ofps 25 doesn't cut it, since it inserts duplicate frames,
producing an irritating jerkiness every second or so when played back.
Commercially made DVDs get around this by just speeding up the playback
rate 4%, so every single frame is played, but the action is slightly
faster and the sound is slightly higher pitched (nearly a semitone, I'm
told).  This is why Region 4 DVDs generally have a shorter running time
than Region 1.

My question is, how can I get mencoder to convert a movie clip to 25fps
by /only/ speeding up the video and audio playback rate (ie without
duplicating frames)?

I know mplayer can do this when playing movies by means of the [ and ]
keys, but I haven't found a way to do it when converting to a new file.
Various combinations of -fps and -ofps all seem to produce a movie that
plays back at the exact same rate as the original (even -ofps 60 made no
difference).  It seems I can achieve what I want by rendering the video
separately from the audio but I'd rather not have to split the tracks at
this point.

Another instance of this problem that comes to mind is speeding up
slow-moving footage, such as a butterfly emerging from a crysalis, or a
sunset.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Greg