[MPlayer-users] Dvd-r, subtitle problem

Joonas Koivunen joonas.koivunen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:21:02 CET 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:46:50 +0200, vs <linuxhtpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> vs wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have several "home burned dvd-r movies". I have problem to get
> > subtitles showing up with mplayer. Keyboard  let me chance the
> > subtitle language but nothing will appear. With original dvds, there
> > is no problems...
It seems that there are no other subtitles in your IFO file than
finnish subtitles, it might be that the OSD subtitle changer doesn't
like to show up if there is less than 2 subtitles.. Just guessing
though.

Those OSD subtitle options are based on the data in IFO file; it seems
that you have multiple subtitle streams (those lines with ==> Found
subtitle: 7 for example) but no information of those is available in
IFO file, hence no OSD changing.

If you want to use those subtitles, you need to select those at the
startup, via -sid 7 or -sid 6 for example.

Note that other players like Ogle (based) might be able to select
those other than finnish subtitles (sids 7 and 6) if there's some kind
of a menu.

If you are unable to select those other subtitles via -sid 7 or -sid
6, take a look at my problem, it's a few days back on this very same
list.

To the question why do bought dvd's work fine but not the ones made by
yourself; if you aren't just burning some leeched image to a disk and
you are authoring one yourself, you are using a buggy dvd authoring
program -- I think because it should write information of all those
subtitles to that IFO file.

> > And those dvd-r disks works in dvd-player, dunno what's wrong in
> > mplayer options...

> > Here is command line i use:  mplayer -autosync 100 -nolirc -autoq 100
> > -fs -slave -ao alsa -v -vo dfbmga -cache 8192 -slang fi -dvd-device
> > /dev/hdc -cdrom-device /dev/hdc dvd://1 -vf pp=de, poll=-1
I don't think that the -cdrom-device is necessry at all.

> > Here is log-file http://80.186.107.162/~htpc/foo/mplayer-stdout.log i
> > dont see any errors in there.

> Any1? Is it possible to be a dvd-r - dvdrom drive issue?....
No. To confirm that, try other free players.

Please someone correct me if this is all crap :D

--
-Joonas