[MPlayer-users] Long-time TV recording to DivX/AVI?

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Fri Mar 25 08:12:23 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, RC wrote:

| On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:21:09 +0100 (CET)
| Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:
|
| > Doing so, I usually get .avi files bigger than 2GB when I want to record in
| > good quality -- but this causes my avidemux to indicate a broken index file
| > and abort.
| > So I have to split the huge file into smaller chunks first
|
| First off, you could split the files with another program, such as avisplit
| from transcode/tools.  You can use avimerge from the same place to combine
| the pieces together at the end as well.

This is correct, but needs a.) the double space on the harddisk, b.) a lot of
time. (And this what I actually do now, too, by a ready made shell script. But
this is not very satisfying.

| I have no problem editing avi files much larger than 2GBs with avidemux2.
| Up to 4GBs, use mencoder with the "-noodml" option.  Above 4GBs, you need a
| recent version of avidemux2, which can handled ODML avi files, and you
| shouldn't have any problems.

I tried to cut such bif files with avidemux(2), or such named as "broken avi
file". The result is that every video then is heavily out of sync. I also
tried to use mencoder to re-index files that cannot be played, because I
terminated recording of mencoder (running in background) with "killall -HUP
mencoder". The same. I record usually with 1 second interval of keyframes, the
result of repairing this is for trash.

Well, on my laptop I have avidemux2 installed, while I run "avidemux-1" on my
SuSE 8.0 workstation. Actually I must say that avidemux2 is somewhat strange.
It often crashes my laptop when I play from there to seek for an exact
position for cutting. Also it is extremely nasty when I hear the choppy sound
(because the laptop is not fast enough, the sound is stumbling), but I found
no way to disable sound completely.
So, actually I prefer the older avidemux on my workstation, because it has no
sound at all.

I wonder that avidemux does not allow to set multiple cutting points and
cut&paste the final movie afterwards in one rush. Instead, I must cut out
first every interesting part one by one and then - finally - paste them
together. The problem is that this "smart" feature (suggested when
cutting between keyframes?) and pasting two of such chunks causes my DVD
player to very badly pass this point. Sound plays fine, but video is extremely
slow for 5-10 seconds.
Maybe this would be much better when I can cut the movie in one task.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |