[MPlayer-users] Ripping dvd with DTS audio

Wed Mar 23 21:08:22 CET 2005

Has anyone succeeded in ripping dvd to avi while keeping dts audio
track? I have several dvds with dts soundtracks which sound really
better than ac3 ones (most likely due to the fact that ac3 ones use 384k
bitrate and dts use 768k - I wonder why they can't make one 640k ac3
track instead?). Fortunately, there is also enough free space to fit dts
soundtrack instead of ac3 in resulting avi file, but I just can't find a
way to do it.

With the same command as I use to encode avi with ac3 track, but with
-aid 138 (dts track) instead of -aid 129 (ac3 track) mencoder produces a
huge amount of frame drops, the resulting video is very jerky and
audio and video don't sync. When -mc 0 is used, there are much less
framedrops, but mplayer goes crazy in the middle of encoding (constant
"Too many audio packets" messages), and the resulting avi is still jerky
and a-v sync goes off.
The indirect method - encoding with ac3 track and then replacing it with
dts track on additional mencoder pass with -audiofile doesn't work too,
a-v sync goes off in resulting file.

Are there any other ways? Or better yet, a working advice from someone
who did it.

--

Vladimir