[MPlayer-users] feature requests

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Tue Mar 22 05:04:43 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 17:32, Thomas Martinsen wrote:
> Bohdan Horst wrote:
>
> >Just curious - is there any way to synchronize two (or more) mplayers?
> >(for example for watching movie with a friend on the other side of the
> >world)
> >
> >regards
> >

> hahahah, what would be the use of this?
> why dont you just start the movie at the same time? ;)

I could see this as being a really powerful tool for advertising based
applications where multiple screens are available and at times you might
want the same movie synced on all screens.

If a frame number sync could be done you could create virtual screens
with multiple players each with part of the image on a high resolution
projector.  even something that we mormally consider high res, say 1024
X 768 starts looking sloppy at screen sizes greater than 60 inches or
so. Imagine a 3x3 matrix with each player running a ninth of an ad built
in illustrator or adobe after effects at 1024 x 768 projected on dnp
holoscreens.  exhibitors and other show based advertisers would flip.

I have no idea how this would be accomplished. I have been thinking of a
simple control script that would start a movies on multiple players that
would allow chasing images to be synced very closely but have not
started on the implementation yet.

There are lots of different applications once you get away from the I am
sitting at this computer and want to watch a dvd mindset.

Bret