[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer not able to show all DVD subtitles

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Mar 22 01:36:28 CET 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 10:27:08AM +0200, Joonas Koivunen wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:22:17 -0500, The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> > It would be easier to tell whether or not we can help you if you'd
> > provide enough information - specifically, the bare minimum requirement
> > for any non-compiling-related problem report: the exact command line you
> > used and the exact (complete! not snipped!) text output. In this case,
> > I'd probably want to see the output of 'mplayer -v dvd://1' first.
>
> Oki then...
> % mplayer dvd://1 -slang fi
> MPlayer dev-CVS-050319-15:02-3.3.4 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE
>

> CommandLine: '-v' 'dvd://1' '-slang' 'fi'

[ snip ]

> Playing dvd://1.
> get_path('DVDKeys') -> '/home/rzei/.mplayer/DVDKeys'
> Reading disc structure, please wait...
> There are 22 titles on this DVD.
> There are 29 chapters in this DVD title.
> There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
> DVD successfully opened.
> [open] audio stream: 0 audio format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128
> [open] audio stream: 1 audio format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 129
> [open] number of audio channels on disk: 2.
> [open] subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: sv
> [open] subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: da
> [open] subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: no
> [open] subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: fi
> [open] number of subtitles on disk: 4

This information is what is included in the IFO
file. It says that there are 4 subtitles (0-3)
but actually this doesn't correspond necessarely
to the spu stream present in the vob files.

[ snip ]

> ==> Found video stream: 0
> ==> Found audio stream: 128
> ==> Found audio stream: 129
> ==> Found subtitle: 7
> ==> Found subtitle: 6

This is what actually IS present in the DVD.
play it with -sid 7 or -sid 6.
Sometimes you should let the movie play some
seconds before you can see all the subtitles present.

> So, mplayer thinks that there are finnish subtitles on sid 3, but
> actually some swedish like are displayed instead. Again,
> ogle/powerdvd/xine are able to find the correct channel for finnish
> subtitles.

That's normal. ogle/powerdvd/xine open the menu and follow the structure.
mplayer plays what you specify on the command line (track, angle, chapter
aid, sid) Some time the defaults are not what you want.

Giacomo