[MPlayer-users] re: recording with mplayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 18 01:10:47 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 11:10:18PM +0000, Lee Jones wrote:
> >Uhhh.... 64 Kbit video would suck a lot, and 32 Kbit audio too. Try
> >ramping up those numbers a bit.
>
> In a way, that's my problem -- I want to move away from realfiles but
> if I used larger numbers than 64kbit for video and 32kbit for audio
> the files become very large and would be too much for (say)
> downloading from the internet. Yet if I used realfiles I could get
> reasonable quality in say ~1MB maybe less. The snag is too I don't
> know any direct OSS equivilent of realfles x.x

This is blatently false. Any good codec will give better quality at
same bitrate than the crappy real codecs. Realplayer is probably just
doing postprocessing to hide the ugliness, but you can do that with
other codecs too if you want; it's just optional in the player rather
than mandatory.

I've had very good luck encoding mpeg4 files at 64kbit using 192x144
video and 12fps. Play them with -vf spp=4 if you want postprocessing
to cover up the ugliness. For much better results using snow or x264
as the codec.

Rich