[MPlayer-users] -dumpstream problems after upgrading from 1.0pre4 to 1.0pre6

Alain Alain alainthailande at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 05:16:02 CET 2005

Hello, list.

I use mplayer (what a wonderful program! EU software
patents are evil!) to record (free) ASF audio streams.
It used to work nicely with 1.0pre4, but since I have
upgraded to 1.0pre6 (built from source, same
environment) it fails almost systematically, at
least with some streams:

- mplayer runs indefinitely (until the stream
connection dies somehow)
- it leaves a stream dump file of 0 or 2577 bytes

Here's an example case:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile nostalgie.wmr  -playlist
http://cache.yacast.fr/V4/nostalgie/nostalgie.asx

Displays:

Resolving cache.yacast.fr for AF_INET...
Connecting to server
cache.yacast.fr[193.201.103.91]:80 ...
Cache size set to 320 KBytes
Connected to server: cache.yacast.fr
Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (it
should be readable by the user.)
Playing mms://vip1.yacast.fr/encodernostalgie.
Resolving vip1.yacast.fr for AF_INET...
Connecting to server
vip1.yacast.fr[193.201.103.108]:1755 ...
connected
unknown object
unknown object
file object, packet length = 775 (775)
unknown object
stream object, stream id: 1
stream object, stream id: 3
unknown object
unknown object
data object
mmst packet_length = 775
Cache size set to 320 KBytes
Connected to server: vip1.yacast.fr
Stream not seekable!

Then mplayer runs until I kill -15 it, and the
resulting file is either 0 or 2577 bytes long (always
that value). Stracing the process shows that
it's stuck on a read(3,...) system call.

If that can mean anything, since it's small I've
attached a sample 2577 bytes file to this mail.

I can live with 1.0pre4, but since it seems to have
appeared with 1.0pre6 I thought that it'd be useful to
know how to use gdb).

Greets,
_Alain_