[MPlayer-users] mpeg muxer: Only fixed aspect?

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Sun Mar 13 17:56:46 CET 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:52:15PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:21:41 -0400
> Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:
>
> > You can make a 16/9 SVCD, but does the hardware
> > DVD player play it correctly?
>
> Yes, without fail.
>
> > Mine doesn't. It always consider a SVCD as having 4/3
> > aspect ratio.
>
> 16/9 is in the SVCD specs,  so your player is the problem.

Are you sure?
There is no mention about 16:9 Anamorphic support in
http://www.videohelp.com/svcd#tech
or
http://www.vcdimager.org/pub/vcdimager/manuals/0.7/vcdimager.txt

Instead http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech says that
16:9 Anamorphic is supported for DVD (only at 720x576,720x480)

These are not official specs, but they should know what they
are talking about.

And keep in mind that we are talking about DVD players.
A DVD player is not supposed to play SVCD. Many do, but
it's not e requirement.

Giacomo